My legs were sore when I woke up this morning. I couldn’t figure out why; I haven’t done any exercises out of the ordinary. And then I realized: I’m coming to the end of my first full week using a standing desk! Yep, as I continue to set up my new place in San Francisco, I chose to set up my “office” with a standing work station.
It’s not my first time using a standing work station. But at my last place, the work station was built in. I’ve never had to design my own. Where to go to buy a standing work desk?
The Genius Bar at Apple is designed for standing work.
I even walked through an entire IKEA to come up with some ideas. Then, two weeks ago as I was staring at this empty bookcase my grandfather made, I thought “hey, that could work!”
I took the measurements and in fact, the top shelf meets my height requirements well enough.
The piece is 47 in. high; 36 in wide; 10 in. deep.
I strategically placed it to allow the surrounding space to enhance my work. I like to be inspired by environment, so:
- Natural light on both sides
- A magnificent view to my left
- Flowers and plants on my right to tease my senses of smell and sight
- consider your height so your computer set up allows for good posture;
- protect your feet with quality shoes or a friendly standing surface;
- ease in – if you’ve never spent hours per day standing, spend just an hour or two at first and build up our time standing to allow your joints and muscles to adapt;
- create your ideal working energy – do you work better with some environmental distraction or do you need total focus?
- be proud. We were built to stand!